This post contains affiliate links. if you buy something from one of these links you won't pay extra, but I do receive a small commission, which helps support my family.
I NEED Self-Care
As a mom, I can personally say that self-care is so important. I have experienced sleepless nights, no naps, tantrum after tantrum, picky eaters, and did I mention tantrums? I have gone through this a lot by myself with no breaks since my husband works full-time and usually travels great distances for his job. Needless to say, momma needs some time to breathe, and just care for herself for a change.
It seems as though there is never enough time to spend on ourselves. The truth of the matter is that we need to make time! You can't take care of other human beings to the best of your ability if you are not first taking good enough care of yourself.
Sometimes we just tune into auto-pilot and continue on through the motions. I have woken up at 5:30 am with my son who just didn't want to go back to sleep. When he finally did, instead of being able to go back to sleep, I had to take care of my daughter who had just woken up. Most of the time she is not a morning person and proceeds to have a meltdown first thing in the morning. After no sleep myself, we both just sit there and have a meltdown crying at one another. At that moment I just want someone to take over and help me so I can get some rest. However, a lot of the time there is no one, and I just have to push through.
A lot of social media and Pinterest posts mislead you into thinking this involves a bath bomb, wine at the end of the night, and a massage. Let's be honest this isn't a realistic expectation for most of us. So here is a list of some easy ways to take care of yourself, even during the hectic life of a mom.
6 Easy Self-Care Tips for Moms:
1. Although this doesn't work for everyone, especially people who like the extra sleep, I recommend getting up at least an hour before your kids. This gives you time to enjoy a cup of coffee, wash your face, freshen up a little, and for me sit and do my morning devotional. That little bit of quiet time for myself allows me to wake up, enjoy the sunrise and peace, and be more emotionally prepared for when my kids wake up. The morning goes a bit better if not everyone wakes up grouchy.
2. For me quiet time, or naps are one of my favorite ways to care for myself. I have two kids, one who naps and the other who doesn't. So while my youngest is napping, I and my daughter will usually lay down in my bed and watch tv, or I'll give her the tablet, while I sleep next to her. She is only 3 but she understands mommy needs rest sometimes and usually lets me be. Even if I'm not fully asleep, it allows my body to have a bit of a reset before my son wakes up.
3. Spending time doing something you love is important. Whether it's spending time doing a hobby or working on something your passionate about. It's important to feed the things that make you happy. For me, I love to knit, read on my kindle paperwhite, or just watch a show I really love. I like to knit while I watch a TV show I'm obsessed with, right now I've been watching Umbrella Academy Season 2 on Netflix. I also love to lay in bed early and just read till my eyes cross and I have to go to sleep lol.
4. Let someone else take over for a while when possible! My mother-in-law takes both my kids every Wednesday from 9:30 am - 2:30 pm. This allows me to have a day to myself to get things done, or just be lazy. On weekends when my husband isn't working I leave the kids with him so that I can go shopping, or just take a nap for a while. This is probably one of my favorite things! I have learned that it's ok to ask for help sometimes, moms are not robots, we need time away.
5. Another huge way to not only take some time for me but also my spouse is to spend alone time with him. We need adult social interaction, not just tiny human interaction. So if you have a spouse take time after the kids have gone to bed and watch a movie, be intimate, just spend time with them. It will also help improve your marriage. If you are a single mom or want an alternative then plan a night out with a girlfriend. The main point is to take time and socialize with someone your age! We are humans and we need social interaction.
6. My last point is a major one, even if it seems super simple. You need to take care of your body! That means making sure your drinking enough water, eating throughout the day to keep your energy up, and keeping up with your hygiene. We as humans have basic needs that need to be met, but as moms, we tend to take care of everyone else but ourselves. There is no shame in sweatpants, no bra, and a messy bun. ( this is like my mom uniform lol) However, taking care of your body's basic needs is essential for good health, energy, and cleanliness.
Share Your Tips and Advice!
I hope you found these tips helpful, and that you actually put them into practice. I know the effects of not taking the time and properly caring for myself. It turns into mental breakdowns, anxiety, being overwhelmed, and sometimes depression. So please do your best to care for yourself. You are a human being with needs too. The better we care for ourselves, the better we can take care of our little loves.
Are there any other self-care tips for other moms you have? Please feel to comment on the blog post, or message me on social media and I will share it! We are a community, and sharing what works for us, may help benefit someone else.
Here's where you can find me: